Guide To Levels
Here at Southbourne School of English, Bournemouth, we grade our student’s level of English using the internationally recognised Common European Framework (CEF) descriptors. These levels are:
- Can communicate very basic needs and understand very simple conversational language.
- Has a limited vocabulary for everyday situations.
- Can read and produce short, simple pieces of writing.
- Can communicate basic needs and speak about personal topics.
- Has sufficient vocabulary for everyday routines.
- Can recognise main grammatical structures.
- Can write short personal texts and notes.
- Can communicate in everyday situations and hold short conversations.
- Can use main grammatical structures.
- Can write texts with some detail.
- Can communicate with some confidence in a reasonable number of situations.
- Has good control of main grammatical structures.
- Can write longer texts using paragraphs with reasonable accuracy.
- Can communicate effectively and express ideas/opinions in most situations.
- Can discuss a range of topical issues.
- Can use a wide range of structures, with reasonable accuracy.
- Can produce a range of written texts using the correct register.
- Can express feelings, opinions and ideas accurately and precisely using a wide range of vocabulary.
- Can produce the full range of texts with natural cohesion.
- Can understand authentic texts with little difficulty.
- Has a very good degree of grammatical control.